Friday, January 1, 2010

LBC-Humor


My grandson


My Grandson


My sister Pam, my Mom and my nephew


My Mom, age 15

Have you ever noticed certain people who always seem to be smiling or laughing? Have you ever done a study of temperaments?  Tim LaHaye wrote a book titled "Your Temperament: Discover Its Potential".  In it, he says people are a combination of four temperaments, Sanguine, Choleric, Melancholy or Phlegmatic.  The Sanguine is described as a sparky individual who is a warm, buoyant, lively, and "enjoying" person. The Sanguine has an unusual capacity for enjoying himself/herself and usually passes on his/her fun-loving spirit.. You usually hear the Sanguine before you see him or her. The Choleric is hot, quick, active, practical, strong-willed, self-sufficient and very independent. They tend to be decisive and opinionated, finding it easy to make decisions both for himself and other people. Both the Sanguine and Choleric are extroverts.  The Melancholy is an analytical, self-sacrificing, gifted, perfectionist type with a very sensitive emotional nature. By nature, they are prone to be an introvert; but since their feelings predominate, they are given to a variety o moods. Then there are the Phlegmatic who is calm, easygoing, never get-upset individual with such a high boiling point that he or she almost never becomes angry.  He or she is the easiest type of person to get along with and is by nature the most likable of all the temperaments. Now, I've only listed the good points of these natures, so remember along with the good comes the bad, they're not perfect.  The reason I mention about temperaments is to show why certain people seem to always be smiling or if they're down, it only lasts a short while.  Your Sanguine is going to be the smiling person.  Someone who seems to enjoy life and never seems to be unhappy.  So one could say that humor is the temperament of some people.

Now me, I love to laugh but I don't have a sense of humor.  By this I mean that there are some people who can make up jokes or see the funny side of a situation.  Your comedians for instance.  I love to watch Phyllis Diller, Bob Hope, Jack Benny, Richard Pryor, Bill Cosby, Jerry Sienfield and Ellen Degeneres. The main reason I love to watch them is that they take their humor from day to day life experiences.  They laugh at themselves! They can see the funny side of life without hurting others.  They don't need to be spiteful or embarrass anyone to get a laugh.

A funny, but potentially embarrassing, event  happened to me.  It was embarrassing, but my fellow colleague put it into perspective. Years ago when I was in my middle twenties, I worked for a CPA firm.  My colleague and I usually went to lunch together.  This was the era of stockings and polyester dresses.  After we had finished our lunch one day, we slid out of the cafe booth, walked out onto the street and in the middle of downtown headed back to the office.  Now me, I felt that my legs and buttocks were a little cool, and I also noticed laughter and a few whistles were coming from three guys walking behind us.  I reached back with my right hand and realized that when I slid out of the booth my skirt stayed at my waste, allowing a clear view of my humm, as Forrest Gump would say, my buttocks!  I could have died from humiliation and embarrassment! I wanted to run into a building or something!  My colleague nonchalantly said, just pull your dress down, because if you ever meet them they won't recognize your face, as their attention is focused elsewhere.  She was right!  So I laughed and pulled my skirt down.  If she hadn't been along, I would have felt so awful! I probably would have stressed over the situation for days and hung my head every time I went out, afraid I would meet the guys, whom I wouldn't recognize as I only heard them rather than saw them, but still!  So the ability to laugh at one's self is such a gift.

Following are some, I hope, humorous joke!



Jose Cuervo New Year Cookies
                                      
1 cup of water
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp salt
1 cup or brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup nuts
2 cups of dried fruit
1 bottle Jose Cuervo Tequila


Sample the Cuervo to check quality. Take a large bowl,
Check the Cuervo again, to be sure it is of the highest quality,
Pour one level cup and drink.



Turn on the electric mixer. Beat one cup of butter
In a large fluffy bowl.


Add one peastoon of sugar. Beat again. At this point
it's best to make sure the Cuervo is still ok, try another
Cup just in case.



Turn off the mixerer thingy.


Break 2 leggs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup
Of dried fruit.



Pick the frigging fruit off the floor.


Mix on the turner.

If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaters just pry
It loose with a drewscriver.



Sample the Cuervo to check for tonsisticity.


Next, sift two cups of salt, or something.
 Check the Jose Cuervo. Now shift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.



Add one table.


Add a spoon of sugar, or somefink. Whatever you can
Find.



Greash the oven.


Turn the cake tin 360 degrees and try not to fall
Over.



Don't forget to beat off the turner.

Finally, throw the bowl through the window, finish the
Cose Juervo and make sure to put the stove in the wishdasher.
Happy New Year!





HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL!


*******************


The Loose Bloggers Consortium, is an informal group of bloggers who post on a given topic each Friday. One topic is posted, then each member gives it their individual treatment. The current members are, in aphabetical order:

 ANU, ASHOK, CONRAD, GAELIKAA, GINGERGRANNYMAR , HELEN, MAGPIE11, MARIA, (MARIANNA is on hiatus and RUMMUSER .

7 comments:

Rummuser said...

Judy, you have now got me worried about fitting into one of the four types. I am sure that all the other LBC will also be trying to fit in. I think that you should do a follow up with analysis of all of them as to where they fit in. I suspect that I am Sanguine!

Judy Harper said...

Ramana-I suspect you're right. Me, I'm a Melancholy/Phlegmatic blend. Also, I didn't realize only half of the Why Men shouldn't write posted. Gotta go back and fix!

Grannymar said...

I'm with Ramana on this one. I await your follow up post.

Now it is kack to the bitchen for me to coonish fiking! HIC!

Mattenylou said...

Hmmmm, I think I'm phlegmatic. I get along with everyone, but I've noticed I'm becoming a bit more opionated with age. I "tell it like it is" much more than I used to. Yikes, I hope I'm not turning into a crabby old lady!

Judy, wishing you the best for this New Year and New Decade, lots of love, good health and happiness! Be well!

Conrad said...

I love your take on humor pulled from everyday life, because that is my favorite type of humor, too! And, not only everyday life, but usually spontaneous observations of it or reactions to it!

I've no idea how to peg myself, either. I seem to swim like a fish from one humor (temperament) to another!

But, right now, whichever one I am is wishing you a very Happy and Prosperous New Year!!

Ginger said...

LOL! I adore the story you told at the end of the post! And what your friend said is classic! :D Fantastic (and very relatable to a lot of folks, I'm certain).

As far as me, when I read about each of the four temperments, I though I am a bit of all of them, though I think I tend to stand a little closer to the melancholy. Yesterday I heard a songwriter say that she was expected to be sad 90% of the time in order to write lyrics. She tried to be happy once, and it didn't go very well.
Maybe the same is true for writers (?). Except for David Sedaris, speaking of those who can find humor in day to day things. He's my hero.

sheeza said...

very 1st it is so informative for me and i like & enjoy your every piece of writing.

well i guess i am Sanguine and Melancholy. without me my home look like a hounted house. i am chatter and always give smile to other easily crack jokes and do fun stuff. in farewell party of my school my friends shed tears and they took promise 4m me that we ll go to same college.
and melancholy becoz inside me i am a sad and this part i never share with anyone.

and your friend was awosome. and i did same thing when i was in school my left the school gate and we notice her shirt isnt proper so i run as fast as i could and tell her and she was embarrassed.

your writing always drag me into my favorite memories.