Friday, March 5, 2010

LBC-If I could Travel In Time, I would.......




The Loose Bloggers Consortium, is an informal group of bloggers who post on a given topic each FridayOne topic is posted, then each member gives it their individual treatment. The current members are, in aphabetical order:
ANU, ASHOK, CONRAD, GAELIKAA, GINGER, GRANNYMAR , HELEN, MAGPIE11, MARIA, (MARIANNA is on hiatus ) and RUMMUSER .


**********************************


There are some people who might feel that if they could travel in time they would go back to a time where they could "fix" the world. Even take the formula of medicines to the past to prevent polio or other diseases. Just imagine, though, the paths of the people who are here because of certain events.  So many lives would be changed and not all for the betterment. If the past is changed, it would have drastic affects on the future and the present. By saving one person, you could eliminate others.

No if I could travel in time I would go back to when my grandparents, dad, aunts and uncles were alive.  Because the first thing I would do is sit down and ask questions like, were did our great, great grandparents come to America from? Why was great-great grandpa called Mac?  His name was Leroy M., so why was he call Mac?  Was it his brogue, as one cousin stated? Another big question would be to my mother's great grandfather. Why were you murdered by a relative?  I know he was tried and supposedly hung, but why the killing in the first place? What did he do that made you angry enough to react and place you in his path to be murdered? I would also love to read the court records to get a first hand view of what transpired.

I would spend time getting to really know them.  Do you know what your parents wanted to be as an adult?  Did they accomplish their dream, or was their vocation due to what they had to work at to earn a living?

I think I would travel to a time and place to meet the singer, Peggy Lee.  I would love to ask her how she dealt with her ups and downs. I would ask if "Is That All There Is", a mirror of her own life, even though she didn't originally write the song.

Of course, if I could travel in time, I think I would do it in something rather than a telephone box like Dr. Who!

10 comments:

Conrad said...

Judy, my last entry was also about going to find more about my family. And I totally agree that I wouldn't want to change anything - that's what the present is for!

But, wow, what an opportunity to learn ...

Magpie 11 said...

Of course we might all want to travel back to meet our ancestors... wonder if I could cope with finding out all that? My grandmother told me that she had an Uncle that the Bolsheviks killed in 1917...

Peggy Lee, yes, just to be at a recording session would be wonderful.

Thanks for some great ideas.

Grannymar said...

I know the hunger for information about my ancestors. On paper and through photos I can go back six generations. It would be wonderful to sit round a table or hearth to learn in detail about their lives.

Thank you Judy for the topic this week.

septembermom said...

It would be very illuminating to go back and speak with our families. So many questions that need to be answered. I would like to take that journey too.

Judy Harper said...

Conrad-I didn't know you were researching your family. It would be such a great opportunity to learn!
David-I didn't know you liked Peggy Lee. I think it would be fascinating to meet face to face to see if the mental image matches the actual person.
Grannymar-Six generations! Wow, I can only go back four.
Mom-I think it would be such a journey.

gaelikaa said...

Oh, Judy, my curiousity really gets the better of me when I think of ancestors and what they went through. We have come from them, and I would love to know what made them the people that they are..

I loved your suggested topic (once I got used to the idea of it). It has produced some very rich and interesting posts.

Rummuser said...

I was in love with Peggy Lee. It was completely one sided however.

If I could, I would like to go to the days of the Rajput and Moghul Kings and see how they lived. I have visited a number of their forts and palaces and did not find any toilets. What did royalty do? Use chamber pots? Did they do it in private or did some attendants help them clean themselves?

The captcha in your comment box today is "bugga" Sounds very much like what I would say, if I got a comment like this in my blog.

Marianna said...

Your comments about digging deeper into the dreams, thoughts, history and aspirations of your family members ring true.

A suggestion to the young - get as much information about relatives while you can. As you get older, the urge to know gets stronger and if you wait until you want to know, it may be too late.

Learned that lesson the hard way, I'm sad to say.

Journaling Woman said...

I love this post. If I could go back in time, I would visit with both sets of grandparents. I would drink in everything about them.

gaelikaa said...

Hey Judy, I'm back. I've awarded you with the 'Prolific Blogger Award' over at mine-

http://gaelikaasdiary.blogspot.com/2010/06/prolific-blogger-award.html