Wednesday, August 18, 2010

ARE YOU GOOD AT WHAT YOU WRITE OR DO YOU JUST WRITE AND WANT TO BE GOOD?




I like to write mysteries, I like to read them as well. But am I good at it?  The subject came up this week when gaelikaa and I were talking about the stories we posted.  I love her human interest stories.  She can take an every day situation and make it interesting. Such as Don't Look Back and The Perfectionist . This week though, she did a really good job with an honest to goodness mystery.  I found that I would like more of the story, The Same House.


Now me, I usually like a murder mystery, but I tried something different with A Castle's Secret and A Summer Tragedy  and Heros . It would be nice to hear comments on a written story as to "hey, you need to stick to this or you need to write about that or even, you don't have the writing talent and should stick to accounting!


What do you think?  Do you write because you have the talent for that type of book or because it's what you want to be good at and maybe should consider another area?

4 comments:

arlee bird said...

Well, I think I have something, but then I look at the eloquence and originality with which some other writer perform their craft and I get a bit discouraged. I'm not going to give up. I just gotta accept that I am the writer that I am and readership will decide how good that is.

Lee

Tossing It Out

gaelikaa said...

Wow, thanks Judy. I think I'll have to come up with a sequel to that mystery. You are not the only one who asked for it....you do write mystery well I find. The key to writing well in any case is to enjoy doing it..

CK said...

I write because... I HAVE to write!!! Late at night, before I drift off to sleep, characters come to life in my head. Because they live such intricate, detailed lives with plots that play out with such intrigue, I HAVE to find time to put my imagination into words. It doesn't happen as much as I would like to, but I really do enjoy writing novels.
Thanks for the post,
-CK

CK said...

PS Hi Gaelikaa! I didn't know you have a Writing Tuesday!!!