Friday, September 10, 2010

LBC-Coincidences



The Loose Bloggers Consortium, is an informal group of bloggers who post on a given topic each Friday. One topic is posted, then each member gives it their individual treatment. The current members are, in aphabetical order:
ANU, ASHOK, CONRAD, GAELIKAA, GINGER, GRANNYMAR , HELEN, MAGPIE11, MARIA, (MARIANNA is on hiatus ) and RUMMUSER .


**********************************
COINCIDENCES
*********** A coincidence occurs when something uncanny, accidental and unexpected happens.


One definition of coincidence is the one I have listed above, " when something uncanny, accidental and unexpected happens". The topic for this Friday is Coincidences. As I thought of what to connect to this topic, I thought of this coming Saturday and the anniversary of 9/11.  I remember watching people who normally worked in the Towers telling about missing their bus, or stopping to get a coffee where the line was extremely long which kept them from arriving at their job until after the terror attack, and so many more stories, it crossed my mind, are these uncanny and unexpected happenings a coincidence? One man was even standing on the sidewalk across from the building, I'm sure there were a lot of people there that just a split second prevented them from crossing over and going inside to ride the elevator to the top floors. The floors where people never made it back down, after the attack. Just a split second of time saved their lives.  Which then raises the question without an answer, "Why them?"

People all over the world can share experiences that a split second of time saved their lives. There was such a coincidence, that I may have mentioned before, which happened to me.  Alabama has many mountains; some have roads from the valley at their base to the their top.  One day, thirty plus years ago, back when the Pinto was a popular car, I was driving up such a mountain.  It was a three lane highway, it curved around and rose up and down, there were some points you couldn't see what was headed your way.  Two lanes headed up, while only one lead down. We were in the middle lane headed up, my Aunt Jessie sat in the passenger seat, my sister was sitting behind me, while my two year old daughter stood on the seat behind my Aunt. It was summer, and since this was a time before all cars had air conditioning, the car windows were rolled down.  The wind was blowing our hair around, we were talking and laughing, suddenly, if felt as though someone placed their hands over mine and gently guided the car into the outer lane. It stunned me a bit, because I hadn't thought of doing this, I remember glancing down to see whose hands were there, then realizing there couldn't be anyone there, just as quickly I glanced up to see a a tractor trailer top the hill in the middle lane, the wrong lane.  If my car hadn't moved over, we would have hit head on, killing all of us in the car.  Needless to say, I experienced a bit of shakiness and had a hard time grasping what had happened.  Is this another instance of a coincidence?  There again, the question of "Why" is raised. Over the years I have wondered which one of us needed to be saved. All of us are still alive except my sister.

I have heard people say they don't believe in coincidences.  It isn't until today that I wonder if they don't believe coincidences happen or that the uncanny, accidental or unexpected happening was really planned by an unseen force; therefore it couldn't be a coincidence.

What about you, do you believe in coincidences?

10 comments:

Grannymar said...

Great to have you back with us again Judy.

What a frightening experience to happen on the highway. Thankfully nobody was hurt.

Judy Harper said...

Grannymar-Thanks! It's good to be back!

Rummuser said...

Welcome back Judy. I enjoyed reading your take on coincidences. I can fully relate to your experience and understand the mechanism that made it possible. If you have the inclination, do read the book that I have recommended on my LBC post.

Judy Harper said...

On my lunch break I will be headed that way!

The Old Silly said...

Thanks for sharing this - wow. Me, I don't believe anything is coincidental in the grand scheme of things. All things happen for a purpose as part of a Divine Plan. That's The Old Silly's take, anyway. ;)

Judy Harper said...

Marvin-I agree with your take!

SAMUEL PARK said...

Hi Judy--What a wonderful, thought-provoking post. I hadn't thought about it that way before, but you're right, a big part of the narrative of 9/11 centers around all the near-misses, like the author Armisted Maupin declining to board the United 93 flight that was attacked by terrorists. I think coincidences are never just coincidences. Nice of you to help us think of them in a complex way.

Judy Harper said...

Samuel-Thanks! It's always thought provoking when coincidences happen. Whatever the event or situation, brings on more speculation, more conversation along the lines of "what if".

gaelikaa said...

There is a divine power that guides our moves. It was guiding your hand that day.

Conrad said...

Judy, that is a marvelous story! I have a friend who has a very similar story of hands pushing him out of the way of gunfire in Vietnam. I do in fact believe this happens and I'm glad to know of your story.