Monday, August 15, 2011

I SENT IN A STORY FOR THE FIRST TIME, EVER!

Tinker ready to go! Property of Judy Harper

Three of us had made a pact to write, revise, critique and send in a story! To me, the hardest part was sending it in, I mean what if it's rejected, what then?  Anyway, on July 31, 2011, I submitted a story to "Ellery Queen Magazine".  It was about 3000 words.  A mystery with a twist.  We'll see!

Once I decided to send in a story, questions arose.  The number one being proper manuscript format and what about the cover letter for a short story.  Ellery Queen Magazine recommends the following format, William Shunn's guide to Proper Manuscript Format.  It is very helpful.  It explains that you should double space, don't compensate for new paragraphs as the 5 space indention will let people know you've started a new thought.  There are some new grammatical points, such as don't space after a period or semicolon or colon.  So while it is in the correct format, there are very useful points and information written as though it is the story.

The cover letter for a short story is different than that of a novel.  I don't know if the one I used is correct, I mean it was so simple. I just went on the internet and typed in short story cover letter. I'm going to do more research into this.

Ellery Queen Magazine assigns a submission number with a link that I can check to see at what point my story is in the submission process.  They do say that it might take up to 8 weeks for the story to be read and notification as to whether it was accepted or not.  They also state that due to the number of submissions they won't be able to critique the story.  I was disappointed to hear this as it would be helpful to know why my story was accepted or rejected.  Anyway, we'll see!

It's taken me 40 years to send in a story, something I'm regretting! So if you have a story, send it in, no matter what.  Just think of how it will affect your future.  What a different path you will follow! Letting go of a story with the prospect of being rejected wasn't as bad as I envisioned. The regret of waiting so long is so much worse! I look back now and say "if only" or "what if"!

3 comments:

Jan Morrison said...

Good for you and now that you've begun - continue!! Send them out all over the place...you won't be sorry.

the wild magnolia said...

I do believe congratulations are in order. Bravo & good job!

Tinker looks totally frazzled with her beautiful luminous green eyes.

Best wishes are in order too!

Terri Tiffany said...

Better late than never! Congratulations on sending that story in. That's the hardest part but then I promise you it gets easier. I have a pile of rejections as well but it shows I am trying.